Message from the Director
Health for One Million is a comprehensive health service wing of the Diocese of Marthandam, aiming at the total development of the people. It is known as HOM, which is a registered Trust with the aim of helping the poor people in their total growth particularly in the field of health. It was registered on February 3, 1997 and its registration number is 18 of 1997. Women play the main role in HOM programmes. They get empowered and contribute positively to the well-being of people in their society.
It is an on-going service oriented educational programme, in which people of all religion, caste, language, community participate without any distinction. In the year 1977 the late Bishop Lawrence Mar Ephraem shaped this innovative and effective programme from his rich experience in the field of health. It was indeed a response to the WHO’s call for ‘ Health for all by 2000 A.D. HOM’s activities are spread out in the Kanyakumari District of Tamil Nadu. His Excellency Most . Rev. Dr. Vincent Mar Paulos, the Bishop of Marthandam is the Managing trustee and Rev. Fr. Devadhas is the Director of HOM.
The principles of Health for One Million:
- Health CARE is more important than disease CURE.
- Health can be maintained only in the context of TOTAL HUMAN DEVELOPEMENT.
- Developement means self-growth.Community developement means community growth from wiyhin.SELF-HELP and SELF-SUSTAINED programmes are the most effective.
- Community DECISION is more meaningful than community PARTICIPATION alone.
- FORMAL as well as INFORMAL EDUCATIONAL methods are adopted to educate people on Health and developement.
Director of HOM - Fr. Devadhas